User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Which 2A bike?! CB400x vs Super 4?

  1. #1
    searchsoul
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Which 2A bike?! CB400x vs Super 4?



    Hi guys,

    I've been wondering whether which I should get when I get my 2A!

    The CB400x or Super 4? I'll list down what I like and don't like from both sides.

    CB400x

    Likes:
    1. Sport Tourer, I like their looks!
    2. Options for side panniers, I always carry a lot of stuff one.
    3. Overall I just think it's chio lah.

    Dislikes:
    1. 2 cylinders (right?) compared to Super 4 = slower (right?)
    2. Single front disc brake. Other than looks, might be a safety concern (I know it is tested otherwise it won't be approved, but still..)


    Super 4

    Likes:
    1. 4 cylinders! I guess that's why BBDC always brag about their Super 4s.
    2. Plenty in SG = cheaper spare parts and maintenance?
    3. Phat tyres!

    Dislikes:
    1. Its huge circle single headlight
    2. Doesn't look nice with box(es)


    What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    chriszzz
    has no status.
    Class 2B chriszzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    208
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I went through the same decision making as you did.

    I thought the 400x and its sibling 400F look nicer than the Super4. The Super4 has a "classic/vintage" look, whereas I prefer the more modern look. But in the end I chose the super4 for 1 main reason: the 4 cylinder VTEC engine. It's super smooth, sounds great, and performs very well.

    My reasoning is that while I am riding the bike, I can't see it. But I can hear it and I can feel it. Hence how the engine purrs/screams, responds and feels is important and will directly affect my enjoyment of the ride. I hate the po-po-po sounds and vibrations made by 1-2 cylinder engines, whereas the Super4's 4-cylinder, coupled with a Yoshi pipe, sounds wonderful and feels smooth. I heard a Yamaha FZ8 the other day. It has a 800cc 4 cylinder engine, but somehow it does not sound as good as the Super4.

    So far, no regrets. The bike is stable, fast, accelerates well, sounds great, and as you said, has lots of spare parts available. After a while, the looks is starting to grow on me too. I especially like the chunky, robust looking engine, which looks very masculine even though it is "only" 400cc. The only issue I can think of is that the maintenance (3+ litres of oil and 4 spark plugs) and petrol consumption (20km/l) are higher than most class 2A bikes.


    Quote Originally Posted by searchsoul View Post
    Hi guys,

    I've been wondering whether which I should get when I get my 2A!

    The CB400x or Super 4? I'll list down what I like and don't like from both sides.

    CB400x

    Likes:
    1. Sport Tourer, I like their looks!
    2. Options for side panniers, I always carry a lot of stuff one.
    3. Overall I just think it's chio lah.

    Dislikes:
    1. 2 cylinders (right?) compared to Super 4 = slower (right?)
    2. Single front disc brake. Other than looks, might be a safety concern (I know it is tested otherwise it won't be approved, but still..)


    Super 4

    Likes:
    1. 4 cylinders! I guess that's why BBDC always brag about their Super 4s.
    2. Plenty in SG = cheaper spare parts and maintenance?
    3. Phat tyres!

    Dislikes:
    1. Its huge circle single headlight
    2. Doesn't look nice with box(es)


    What do you guys think?

     

     
  3. #3
    ghost04
    has no status.
    TeePee ghost04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    4,203
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    s4...bulletproof engine n reliability proven for many many years...holds its value well n class 2a not alot of bikes wit inline 4 engines n vtec


    Sent from my iPhone

    stay calm and carry on...

  4. #4
    SV650
    has no status.
    Class 2 SV650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    904
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You probably need to work out your budget and see which machine you can afford. Don't over-stretch your pocket.

    Super 4 has probably has more power and CB400X has good fuel efficiency, if I'm not wrong. You may wish to do some research on the power and fuel efficiency of both machines and use this as part of the factors to consider which is a better choice.

    Have fun shopping on your new ride!

  5. #5
    Hydher
    Is selling his GSXR1000
    SBF Phantom Knights Hydher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,547
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Super 4
    Performance
    Sound

    Cb400x
    Comfortable for touring.

    Super 4 more prone to theft
    Cb400x can get accesories. Just that you will have to wait I guess.

    Big question.. Are you chasing performance?
    Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

  6. #6
    rekkan
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    58
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Personally I prefer the styling of the CB400X, but the super4 is an ever reliable bike.

  7. #7
    bikerpotato
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    61
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can never go wrong with Vtec

  8. #8
    shemish
    has no status.
    Class 2B shemish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    227
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    get s4.
    cb400x is underpower.. kena block on the highway by cb400x a few times while in a hurry lane splitting.
    i can feel that they are trying their best to speed up, but there is only so much you expect from cb400x.
    FC wise a normal super4 spec 3 can do an average of 300km full tank at a constant speed (not top speed of cause)

    Only reason why you shld conside a cb400x is if you want to go touring. than again, a normal s4 also can install box and windshield as well

  9. #9
    FireGunz
    has no status.
    Class 2B FireGunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    322
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmmm... will look into it. Thank for sharing info.

    Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    kaizersg
    Semenanjung Malaya Utara
    Class 2A kaizersg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    pUlau saKra laUt in a teNt
    Posts
    666
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    #iVoteVtec's
    Yamalaya Selamanya
    91'ahamaY zxR 331Cc **819*
    2011'SX 1000Z ikasawaK *819*

  11. #11
    searchsoul
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks a lot for the replies everyone! Although I still prefer the looks of 400x, but I think I'll go for the s4 due to available spare parts and performance!

    Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

     

     
  12. #12
    searchsoul
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydher View Post
    Super 4
    Performance
    Sound

    Cb400x
    Comfortable for touring.

    Super 4 more prone to theft
    Cb400x can get accesories. Just that you will have to wait I guess.

    Big question.. Are you chasing performance?
    I'm not really big on performance, especially since in sg one can only go so fast. I think practicality is what I'm looking for, but then again, I'm simply torn by emotion and logic. Hahaha

    Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    wllim1st
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    12
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    S4 is the sensible choice if you have the budget. But probably limited new ones, since they are parallel imported.

    CB400X is cheaper because its parallel twin. Underpowered because it is original CB500X in other countries. Engine derated to 400 to suit 2A class. Go make some searches online.

    If you plan to take Class 2 in future, maybe S4 is better choice.

    Good luck in your search.

  14. #14
    firex
    has no status.
    L Plate firex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Jurong
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Super 4 is the better choice.

  15. #15
    chriszzz
    has no status.
    Class 2B chriszzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    208
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm also not so much for power (afterall, I keep below 100km/h in Sg and do 110-130km/h in Malaysia, which any 2A bike can handle). But my s4's engine feels super smooth. Sometimes I catch myself grinning to myself when I feel the smooth hum of the engine when riding at constant speed. Hardly any thumping or vibrations from the engine. Imagine a 400cc engine feeling smoother and with less vibrations than a smaller 150cc engine.

    When I upgrade, it will likely be another 4 cylinder bike.



    Quote Originally Posted by searchsoul View Post
    I'm not really big on performance, especially since in sg one can only go so fast. I think practicality is what I'm looking for, but then again, I'm simply torn by emotion and logic. Hahaha

    Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Etan
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    18
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    both good enough for singapore road, just that S4 are too common

  17. #17
    SV650
    has no status.
    Class 2 SV650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    904
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by safsikal View Post
    Am not sure whether this question is valid. But while considering between Super4 and 400X I was also introduced to NC700/750 and should this be the choice, going for Class 2 would then become necessary.

    Would anyone analyse this 3 corner fight for me? Maybe can also see from efficiency, fuel economy and low maintenance point of view too?

    Many thanks.
    Super 4 Revo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_...2.80.93present)
    Seat Height: 755 mm
    Kerb Weight: 195 kg
    Max Torque: 38 N·m (28 lbf·ft) @ 9,500 rpm
    Max Power: 39.5 kW (53.0 hp) @ 10,500 rpm
    Fuel Tank: 18 litres
    Fuel Consumption: 31 km/l
    Front Tyre: 120/60 ZR17 55W
    Rear Tyre: 160/60 ZR17 69W

    CB400X (http://www.boonsiewhonda.com.sg/boon...roducts/cb400x)
    Seat Height: 795 mm
    Kerb Weight: 194 kg
    Max Torque: 37 Nm @ 7,500rpm
    Max Power: 34 kW @ 9,500rpm
    Fuel Tank: 17 litres
    Fuel Consumption: 28.2 km/l
    Front Tyre: 120/70-ZR17M/C (58W)
    Rear Tyre: 160/60-ZR17M/C (69W)

    NC750S (http://www.boonsiewhonda.com.sg/boon...roducts/nc750s)
    Seat Height: 790mm
    Kerb Weight: 217 kg
    Max Torque: 68 Nm @ 4,750rpm
    Max Power: 40.3 kW @ 6,250rpm
    Fuel Tank: 14.1 litres
    Fuel Consumption: 28.6km/l
    Front Tyre:120/70-ZR17M/C (58W)
    Rear Tyre: 160/60-ZR17M/C (69W)

    safsikal
    If you have no restriction on seat height, better to go for NC750S or the NC750X. If seat height is a challenge, then Super 4 maybe the option to look at.

    Basic maintenance should be similar on all 3 bikes if you are referring to Singapore riding. Tyre size are pretty much similar as well. For Super 4, as most of the machines available in the market are older, do prepare for more maintenance due to wear and tear. For older version of Super 4, heard that there might be a problem getting some spare parts. Again, it's something I hear some bikers commenting about Super 4 spare parts.

    Price wise, NC750 is one of the most affordable class 2 bikes in Singapore market. I reckon the price of the machine is not too far off from a class 2A machine, if you are comparing new machines. You will need to find out the machine price yourself, depending on preference on new or used machine.

    Hope that these information are helpful to you.

  18. #18
    whiteo83
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    61
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Anyone know if CB400X can adjust the suspension to bring down the seat height to CB400 height or lower??
    I kateh

    Quote Originally Posted by SV650 View Post
    Super 4 Revo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_...2.80.93present)
    Seat Height: 755 mm
    Kerb Weight: 195 kg
    Max Torque: 38 N·m (28 lbf·ft) @ 9,500 rpm
    Max Power: 39.5 kW (53.0 hp) @ 10,500 rpm
    Fuel Tank: 18 litres
    Fuel Consumption: 31 km/l
    Front Tyre: 120/60 ZR17 55W
    Rear Tyre: 160/60 ZR17 69W

    CB400X (http://www.boonsiewhonda.com.sg/boon...roducts/cb400x)
    Seat Height: 795 mm
    Kerb Weight: 194 kg
    Max Torque: 37 Nm @ 7,500rpm
    Max Power: 34 kW @ 9,500rpm
    Fuel Tank: 17 litres
    Fuel Consumption: 28.2 km/l
    Front Tyre: 120/70-ZR17M/C (58W)
    Rear Tyre: 160/60-ZR17M/C (69W)

    NC750S (http://www.boonsiewhonda.com.sg/boon...roducts/nc750s)
    Seat Height: 790mm
    Kerb Weight: 217 kg
    Max Torque: 68 Nm @ 4,750rpm
    Max Power: 40.3 kW @ 6,250rpm
    Fuel Tank: 14.1 litres
    Fuel Consumption: 28.6km/l
    Front Tyre:120/70-ZR17M/C (58W)
    Rear Tyre: 160/60-ZR17M/C (69W)

    safsikal
    If you have no restriction on seat height, better to go for NC750S or the NC750X. If seat height is a challenge, then Super 4 maybe the option to look at.

    Basic maintenance should be similar on all 3 bikes if you are referring to Singapore riding. Tyre size are pretty much similar as well. For Super 4, as most of the machines available in the market are older, do prepare for more maintenance due to wear and tear. For older version of Super 4, heard that there might be a problem getting some spare parts. Again, it's something I hear some bikers commenting about Super 4 spare parts.

    Price wise, NC750 is one of the most affordable class 2 bikes in Singapore market. I reckon the price of the machine is not too far off from a class 2A machine, if you are comparing new machines. You will need to find out the machine price yourself, depending on preference on new or used machine.

    Hope that these information are helpful to you.

  19. #19
    letsrock
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    53
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    One vote to super4

  20. #20
    Yahmarhuh
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    208
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    can also trim ur seat to make it slimmer. when ur legs are not spread out as much, u gain some inseam height. For mine, I make the back portion wider than stock for comfort but slimmer than stock in front so when I stand, I move forward a little so my feet can reach the front.

  21. #21
    hushpuppy
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    45
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    So didn't 400x fuel consumption loses out to s4

     

     
  22. #22
    bluehulk
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    52
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    prefer S4 over CB400x

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •